Have you got Asthma? Do you want to play sports but find it difficult? Well here is a list of asthma friendly sports. But first let’s examine what asthma is.
What Is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic lung condition. It is characterized by difficulty in breathing. People with asthma have extra sensitive or hyper-responsive airways. The airways react by narrowing or obstructing when they become irritated. This makes it difficult for the air to move in and out. This narrowing or obstruction can cause one or a combination of the following symptoms: wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath and chest tightness.
Common triggers which cause tightening of the airways include everyday stimuli such as: Cold air, dust, strong fumes, exercise, inhaled irritants, emotional upsets and smoke.
The most common inducers are allergens and respiratory viral infections .The most common inhaled allergens include: pollen (grasses, trees and weeds) ,animal secretions (cats and horses tend to be to the most allergen causing) and house dust mites .
Asthma and sports
Here’s a quick review of our definition of asthma friendly sports:
- Able to control breathing rate and depth
- Able to breathe through the nose at all times
- Does not promote coughing, air trapping, or airway drying
- Able to rest and drink fluid when needed
- A mixture of short high energy sprints with low energy endurance activities
- Climate control when possible
- An activity that includes participation of others for safety
As with any exercise program, be sure to check with your physician before you begin.
- Golf- A great sport for those with asthma and lung disease is golf. Golf is easily customizable to a person’s physical capabilities and limitations.
- Weight Training-Toned, strong muscles use less oxygen and energy than flabby, out of shape muscles. This is an important reward of weight training and a big benefit for breathing.
- Sailing-The magic of sailing can be especially relaxing and can even include some exercise once in a while!
- Bicycling- Cycling provides a great form of exercise without aggravating asthma symptoms!
- Walking-Walking may be the friendliest sport of all!
- Fishing-Probably one of the most recognized activities for relaxation is fishing.
- Canoeing-Canoeing can be a great stress reliever.
- Swimming-For many, swimming is the most ideal Asthma Friendly Sport!